J. Blake Johnson
Blake Johnson began his legal career at one of the largest and oldest law firms in the State of Oklahoma. There, he trained his skills as a civil litigator and business lawyer, before departing to become a founding partner of Overman Legal Group. He is equipped to represent clients of any type and size, no matter their litigation or transactional needs.
As a litigator, Blake aggressively represents his clients interests. He has achieved remarkable success in disputes of every kind, including:
- defending a high-profile athlete against a personal-injury plaintiff alleging claims arising out of a battery, obtaining dismissal of 2/3 claims and securing agreeable settlement as to remaining claim;
- successfully defending a major public university, through appeal, against claims that it improperly selected a contractor for its sports stadium over a lower but less-qualified bidder;
- prosecuting a trademark-infringement claim on behalf of musical group against former member, obtaining federal-court injunction on member’s touring activities;
- protecting a tribe’s arbitration award against a state’s district-court challenge to its arbitration award concerning tax revenues;
- obtaining injunction against local school district requiring readmission of student wrongfully suspended for off-campus drug use;
- successfully prosecuting claims by waste-management company against cities and municipalities defaulting on payment obligations;
- successfully defending a small-business owner against claims by an artist alleging business wrongfully removed public art from a building;
- recovering funds embezzled by officer from multi-state sports league;
- representing several businesses or parties involved in corporate divorce;
- successfully prosecuting local restaurant’s trademark-infringement lawsuit against other local business;
- negotiating settlement to professional athlete’s contract dispute with various representatives;
- defending local amateur athlete against various creditor claims;
- negotiating disputes between promotion agencies and music venues;
- defending several local cannabis companies against claims of trademark infringement;
- negotiating settlement of various contract-related claims against local film marker; and
- navigating several high-profile clients through sensitive matters while avoiding public attention.
As a business lawyer, Blake appreciates that every new challenge feels like the most pressing. He is experienced in guiding companies through every phase of development. His practice includes business formation, contract negotiation, securities matters, acquisitions, employment matters, and business divorces.
Blake graduated Order of the Coif, Order of Barristers, and National Order of Scribes from the University of Oklahoma College of Law, where he was an Articles Editor of the Oklahoma Law Review, Pro Bono Award recipient, and an national-award-winning member of the American Bar Association Appellate Advocacy team. Prior to law school, Blake was the national champion of college debate and the Founding Director of the Bay Area Urban Debate League, creating debate teams in under-resourced inner-city high schools in the San Francisco Bay Area.
EDUCATION, BAR ADMISSION & AWARDS
Graduated Order of the Coif, Order of Barristers, & National Order of Scribes University of Oklahoma College of Law
Pro Bono Award recipient
National-award-winning member of the American Bar Association Appellate Advocacy team